Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Marcus Gee: When Snobs become 'Journalists'

Mr. Gee can *always* be counted upon to express in words the seedy underbelly of Toronto that is "gentrification".

One can picture him rolling the word around on his tongue, like fine wine...

The pace of gentrification in downtown Toronto is truly astonishing. Queen West, Queen East, Leslieville, Little Italy, the Junction, Parkdale – one by one, downtown neighbourhoods have been infiltrated by galleries, coffee shops and yoga studios, while house prices on the surrounding streets soar.

From my own door step near Dundas and Dovercourt, I’ve had a front-row seat on this phenomenon. When I bought my house two decades ago, I told my father how much I’d paid. “A quarter of a million to live in a slum, eh?” he helpfully remarked.


Slum? Hell no. A couple of well placed condos and we'll have those nasty poor fleeing to..to where ever the hell they flee to.

Who cares? Yoga studios!!!

Read more here.

No comments: