Monday, January 31, 2011

Eoin McManus and Benjamin McCall: Vile homophobes of the day

These two animals thought it would be a good time to beat up gay men in the Village. And these two animals no doubt see themselves as the good guys.

You are not. More in the category of violent criminals.

They are both over 21 as well, and can be charged as adults (technically they are, if not mentally). Should have got your psychopathic antisocial behaviour over with when you were juveniles.

Oh well, the boys in jail always welcome fresh meat.

Toronto Police are calling a recent late-night assault in the Gay Village a hate crime, stoking concerns the neighbourhood is no longer safe.

Ryan Lester, 30, was kicked in the face and called “faggot” while getting a post-bar snack at Mehran Restaurant on Church St. early Saturday Jan. 22. His 24-year-old brother, Ben, suffered has deep bruises on his back and had to go to the dentist to repair a broken molar.

The beating comes on the heels of allegations that local students have been hurling slushies, ice and homophobic slurs at residents in the Gay Village.

Lester said he used to have a sense of security in the Gay Village but the recent incidents have him on edge.

“I thought of it as an inherently safe space. If you have a problem with gay people, you just don’t go there,” Lester said.

Eoin McManus, 21, and Benjamin McCall, 21, both of Toronto, have each been charged with two counts of assault and one count of mischief after breaking the restaurant’s front window.

Toronto Police Det. Chu Chang categorized the attack as a hate crime.


Read more here.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I went to highschool with eoin, I cant speak to Ben but Eoin was friends with gay men in highschool. I doubt very much that it was a hate crime, the word faggot just get tossed around. wrong place wrong time that it was in the village

Unknown said...

Did you happen to witness all this, or receive testimonies from the Lester brothers? It sounds like your just another blogger sitting back at home, over exaggerating every article you can get your hands on.

protogenes said...

JabaHuT:

Blame the victim and the messager, well done.

I was just going by what the police said, you moron.

Unknown said...

I know both Eoin and Ben. I've known them for a long time and I am POSITIVE that was not a hate crime, assault? granted, but a hate crime? most definitely not.

minihart said...

don't just regurgitate what you hear, moron.

this is a sad case of twisted information.

protogenes said...

@minihart

Yeah yeah I know, those 2 were paragon of virtue.

Mr. Wonderful said...

Do you know what happened to the two who were accused of this crime? These things are reported when they happen and it seems that there's rarely ever a follow-up.

protogenes said...

@ Mr Wonderful

A fourth-year radio and television arts student charged with a hate crime is set to appear in court on Wednesday, Sept. 21.

http://theeyeopener.com/2011/09/hate-crime-back-in-court/

ben mccall said...


I am one of the accused (Benjamin McCall) in your article and many more articles spread across the internet. It has been almost 5 years since the incident and at no point was this article taken down or was there posted a follow up article or any sort of apology based on the conclusions of the case.

We were found innocent and acquitted of all charges due to video footage of the whole scene (which even showed that we hadn't started the fight), as well as evidence tampering, coercion and assault on behalf of the arresting officers.

We were not the monsters this article and hundreds of articles across news papers, news reports and articles on the internet had displayed us to be. I for example went to an art school (Rosedale Heights School of the Arts) and studied dance for several years. I had and have many homosexual friends and I have never or will never attack anyone for the life they lead.

My life was affected heavily by articles such as these. I was threatened constantly on social media. I had hundreds of people sending me death threats daily and I eventually had to close down my accounts. I hid away for periods of time due to depression and was judged constantly. My life was changed drastically. I had trouble getting jobs, I lost relationships and contemplated suicide regularly.

Almost 5 years later I look back on that time as a life experience and a view into our judicial system, police corruption as well as the media's portrayal of the truth, but I still feel as though I deserve something. If you could take this article down, it would be appreciated.

Respectfully,
Benjamin McCall