Monday, September 26, 2005

Rome V

salad?

Yee-awwwn.

Having to refresh everyone at the top of the show with scenes from earlier episodes, doesn't going until six minutes after the hour.

Because of its episodic nature, it again went from event to event with no highs, no lows.

More domestic goings on.

Who's in who's bed? Who's writing all the (anatomically correct) graffiti? Does Octavian really paint the best toe nails?

Last week Atia is worried about his masculinity, and this week she is congratulating him because she thought he was sleeping with Caesar (for political reasons of course).

The portrait they paint of Octavian is strange, a pale little boy who enjoys torture and beating men to death. Why is he helping Pullo torture and kill Lucius's wife's lover?

So for me, I have no characters to root for. Comparing "Rome" again to "I Claudius", very early on in IC, Liva was brought out as a main focus of the first half of the series, and she was fun to watch.

Here, no character is close her. I knew Liva, and Atia you are no Liva.

I stepped from the room near the end of the episode, and suddenly Lucius is in some temple being painted with blood, looking very grim.

What the hell happened?

Anyway. Best line: "I'm a solider, not a peace keeper."

I wish the show was more focused on the political struggle. Ciaran Hinds (Caesar) is a fine actor, and it is fun to watch emotions play across his stretched, arrogant face.

Will I get to Rome VI?...yes...damn damn damn.

No comments: