Sunday, July 20, 2008

Rogers and DNS redirecting

My call to Rogers to lodge an official complaint finally got through (as this time I didn't say what the call was about) in 5 minutes instead of two hours.

You can opt out "temporarily" but if you delete cookies you're right back in again. Opting out this way still leaves broken the ability to type single words, APPLE or CNN for example (actually I should state here I speak only about Safari on a Mac. Your experience may vary)...

So this opt out is nothing of the sort, thanks for lying Rogers. It still redirects but to a bogus IE 404 page. They do treat us like idiots, don't they?

Seems you can "permanently" opt out of the DNS redirect, but you have to make changes to your set up, yourself.

Nice no? Rogers forces this shit on us, then expects us to do the work necessary to stop them.

I pay Rogers for access to the net. They provide that service. End of story. I do not want them intruding their marketing into my web experience, something they are clearly trying to do (Rogers is known for aggressive marketing here in Toronto. Cold calls and door to door sales pitches abound. My mailbox groans from the weight of their flyers).

Corporate arrogance of the highest order.

I feel for corporate marketers. They have succeeded in turning our urban landscapes into ad covered nightmares, the net with its sites devoid of advertising (look around folks) must drive them crazy.

No comments: