Friday, January 18, 2008

300




I seem to have been the last man in my, demographic, to have not seen 300.

So, I finally did see it last night. Visually it is wonderful. You can see this in the clip above. I'm a fan of the battle scene in movies, and this film delivers new and fresh takes on this.

All the other stuff they say about it: homoerotic, sure if you want, I don't think it is the filmmakers aim here. Violent, oh yes but in a strangely cartoon, almost comic book style...gee wonder where they got that idea...

Republican propaganda, sure I guess that's there, but so is a message of freedom against slavery. Our world view is still coloured by these ancient events, though the man in the street may not know this. The so called ancient world is not so ancient.

This is the West. We love our violence.

In many ways it's pure Herodotus, the ship wreck scene particulary.

No comments: