Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Zhang Ziyi

Zhang ZiyiFrom a statement made by Zhang Ziyi concerning the Olympic flame protests...

When I walk down the streets of the United States, I am often proud of my motherland. The prosperity and beauty of Beijing and Shanghai are no less than any American city. When I speak with people in the business sector of the United States, they all feel that the steadily developing China has made huge contributions to the world. In recent years, we have lived through certain hardships, such as SARS, the snow storms, the avian flu ... but we came through and maintained our high economic growth rate.

Walking down the streets of Beijing late at night, I deeply realized why we are able to have peace and prosperity. In the United States, there has just been four cases of school campus shootings with many dead innocent children. I don't understand why certain western media would applaud the recent riots in Tibet. Why couldn't they see the innocent lost lives which came as a result of arson and physical battery? China is becoming strong and powerful, and they don't like the former "Sick man of East Asia" to have the same standing as they do. On further thought, I thought that I should be content because this shows that China is going down the correct and peaceful path. We should continue to do so with determination ...


This sentiment is echoed over and over in posts by Chinese: China is rich and powerful (big and shiny=good), only western type trouble makers are to blame here (read here anyone not stating the party line). We have done nothing to deserve this, you're just jealous (so STFU).

My hat is off to the Chinese government, for putting this over on your people. Well done.

It's nonsense but it seems to work for you.

No comments: